Advice on adapting your home for your disability

With the average life expectancy age continuing to rise, its great to know people are enjoying life for longer. However, with old age often comes health problems and disabilities – but in these modern day times, those issues can be easily managed.

It is also believed that most people in life will experience some form of disability which can occur naturally, health issues, old age, or an accident.

Where do I start when looking to adapt my home? 

The initial stage will be fully assessing your disabilities so that your needs can be reviewed and evaluated. This will help to plan for now and potential future changes. Everyone is completely different and your local occupational therapist will be able to discuss this with you fully.  Find your local occupational therapists

What sort of changes may need to be made to my home for my disability needs?

Once your needs have been assessed, the possible changes to your home can be wide ranging from ensuring your front entrance is wide enough to fit a wheelchair or scooter, installing equipment such as  a stairlift or bath lifts, adding hand rails in relevant places, making hallways and corridors wider, placing visual or hearing aids around the home, to motion sensors in case of a fall and emergency needs.

I need a stairlift or I have an existing one that needs removing

We have been in the stairlift industry for many years and have expert knowledge of makes, models, sizes, fitting, engineering and servicing. Whether you need a curved, straight, want a brand new one or value for money reconditioned, need heavy duty, outdoor or bespoke, we can deal with all stairlift needs. We offer excellent warranties and after sale services. We also offer a recycling service so that if your existing stairlift need changing or taking out, we can do so in an environmentally friendly way and we give 50% to charity.

What do I do now that I know what adaptations I need to make to my home,?

Before you do anything, it is worth finding out if you are entitled to financial help with your home adaptations. Find out more by contacting citizen advice. Or speak to your local social services department at the council. They can arrange for someone to assess your situation and determine what help and funding is at hand.


Website built by 418Design